This noble trinket casket was crafted by the silver manufactory William Comyns & Sons Ltd. in London in 1905. The casket is modelled in its form as a miniature version according to cylinder desks. The lid caps, as well as the sidewalls consist of real tortoiseshell and the fittings are of sterling silver, with a finely chased pattern along the edges. Engraved In silver, allegorical depictions of music are inserted into the tortoiseshell.
William Comyns & Sons Ltd. is known as a large silver manufactory based in London. The silversmith was founded by William Comyns in ca. 1859, when he purchased the company from Robert Tagg, which had been in existence itself since 1730. The company name William Comyns & Son. existed since ca. 1885, when both his sons Charles and Richard became associates. In 1925, the firm was bought by Bernard Copping, which survives until today as one of the few silversmiths based in London.
Signature / Marks: shows the maker’s mark ‘W.C’, the country hallmark England, the town hallmark London, and the year hallmark ‘k’ (1905). It is also marked with ‘Wilson & Gill, 139 Regent St. London’
Dimensions: 10 x 12.7 x 10 cm (height x width x depth)
Condition: very good condition with the usual signs of wear and age
Provenance: Austrian private collection